How to Set Up Anonymous FTP Access
Sometimes you need to give someone access to an FTP to download some large files or many files. We personally know software agencies, that uses FTP servers on what is stored there developed software installation files, that they give users to download. So for this and other reasons, some companies need an Anonymous FTP. In this Knowledgebase entry, we will show you, how to create one on www.amberit.eu shared hosting. To access the hosting control panel you already should have received an e-mail with all credentials. If you aren't our client, then you can order our services once the first payment is made our system will automatically setup your shared hosting account and send all the information to your e-mail.
Setting Up Anonymous FTP Access
1. You would need to contact our support and require a dedicated IP for your shared Webhosting or purchase it using our self-service system https://my.amberit.eu. Once you have a dedicated IP assigned to your website, you can set up a directory within the site, where other users will be able to anonymously download or upload files through FTP. Once anonymous FTP is switched on, the users will be able to log in to the directory at an address like ftp://ftp.your-domain.ltd with the “anonymous” username and any password.
To allow anonymous FTP access:
1.As mentioned before you need to order a dedicated IP.
2.Go to Websites & Domains and click FTP Access.
3.Click the Anonymous FTP tab.
4.Do the following:
4.1.To activate anonymous FTP service, click Switch On
4.2.To set up a welcoming message to be displayed when users log in to the FTP site, select the Display login message checkbox and type the message text in the input field as desired.
Note that not all FTP clients display welcoming messages.
4.3.To allow visitors to upload files to the
/incoming directory, select the Allow uploading to incoming directory checkbox.
4.4.To allow users to create subdirectories in the
/incoming directory, select the Allow creation of directories in the incoming directory checkbox.
4.5.To allow downloading files from the
/incoming directory, select the Allow downloading from the incoming directory checkbox.
4.6.To limit the amount of disk space that can be occupied by uploaded files, clear the Unlimited checkbox corresponding to the Limit disk space in the incoming directory option, and specify the amount in kilobytes.
This is the hard quota: The users will not be able to add more files to the directory when the limit is reached.
4.7.To limit the number of simultaneous connections to the anonymous FTP server, clear the Unlimited checkbox corresponding to the Limit number of simultaneous connections option, and specify the number of allowed connections.
4.8.To limit the bandwidth for anonymous FTP connections, clear the Unlimited checkbox corresponding to the Limit download bandwidth for this virtual FTP domain option and enter the maximum bandwidth in kilobytes per second.
To change settings for anonymous FTP service or switch it off:
- Go to Websites & Domains and click FTP Access.
- Click the Anonymous FTP tab.
- Perform the operation you need:
- Adjust the settings as required and click OK.
- To switch off the anonymous FTP service, click Switch Off.
If you need assistance, please feel free to contact our hosting support and we will provide you with all the needed assistance to set up Anonymous FTP.